October 3, 2009

Travel to textiles, take away inspiration



Today was a day to be marked on the calendar.

No, not 'the day before Mr Tacc's birthday and last chance to buy a present', nor 'nice Saturday' -- today was the Open Day for the Textile Fibre Forum at Geelong.




Some of you may remember that I went last year and was startled and amazed at what I found.

The Forum is like summer camp for over-excited girls who love fibre. It's a haven of creativity, a fun week of intensity, an institution, a revelation, a colourful holiday, better than a trip to a resort, essential.

I heard it described as all of these things today as we wandered the grounds of the school, looking at what the talented participants had made over the course of a week of red-hot creative production.

It's a conference for fibre-a-holics, put on by TAFTA. On the last Saturday, each class puts on a display of their week's productions.

So this morning, bright and (far too) early, Karen and Sonia picked me up and off we went. A road trip. Whee! Watch me fall asleep in the back seat, get giddy with delight at being out and on textile treasure hunts again. (Thanks, Karen, for reminding me not to leave my coffee mug on top of the car when we drove away...)

It was one of those days.......

Distracting,
inspiring,
exhausting,
colourful.

There were beautiful, delicate  embellished pieces of felt:




In all sorts of colours.

 


Printed fabric, dyed and glorious.





 

Some had made clothes from the inspired textile pieces they had crafted.

If there was one thing I wanted dearly to wear, it was this dress/coat!





 (Don't worry, I'd wear black coverups underneath or it would not be art, it would be chaos in a bag.)

Speaking of chaos, getting crazy in the kitchen, one class made Domestic Goddess aprons for a frenzy of cake baking. These aren't tame little coverup aprons: they're definitely for the goddess who licks the bowl and loves it. Mmm!

 

Given the recent production around here of the Chocolate Cake Hall of Fame, I was partial to this cake-themed apron. Go, girl!



I love how the recipes on this apron randomly show through the blackboard-style scribbles.

Never ones to go without accessories, handbags were in evidence. These lovelies got nicknamed 'killer handbags' for their velvet-covered knockout-anvil style crazy beauty. 



Sort of wild and chemically pumped all at the same time.

(I wouldn't eat those strawberries if I were you, Bambi...)



The sun shone:



The traders kindly sold us buttons and felt, beads and yarn (well, would you resist?)



It was exhausting and inspiring -- and I was only there for 4 hours!



And now I'm going to go and put my feet up while I dream of colour.

5 comments:

lily boot said...

wow! that looks wonderful - I'm not surprised you're giddy with pleasure over all that colour and beauty. Mayhaps I'll join you next year :-) If you'll have me that is!

Liesl said...

Thank you for the visual feast - such lovely things to look at. It must have been a wonderful 4 hours!

CurlyPops said...

Ahhh that's my idea of Heaven. That is one seriously cool handbag!

trash said...

Oooo! How lovely!

Joanne said...

One year I'll get there! This is never promoted much in the Geelong media so I forget about it. I used to get the TAFTA mag but now I don't subscribe I don't get those reminders.
On your recommendation, I will try for next year.