May 5, 2009

If time is a river

If time is like a river, when you hold your hand against the current, does time wash around you? Push and pull you. Slip around you. Hold tight: push it back. Twirl and whirl, like flying hands flipping the current of air out the window of a car.

Did you do that when you were a kid? Let your hand bounce and sway in the air as you rush along. I don't do that much now that I know how to drive. Being a passenger I can't let go of mantle of responsibility. Mirror, shoulder, mirror. Watch the traffic. Even when I'm not driving. To let someone else drive and to sit back - that's a little pleasure. I do that sometimes when Mr Tacc drives. Trust to know that you are safe, like you were when you were a kid, with your family, going places.

I'm rowing upstream at the moment, like so many of us. I wonder what the banks of the stream are like, and if there are picnics to be had on grassy green banks. Flowers to pick. Time rushes but playtime, it stretches.

Tonight I have spent the evening on my own, drawing whatever comes to mind. Not this wistful rower: she came along a few months ago. Solid things. Coffee cups and pear trees. A strange little llama. And a coupla characters I'm rather pleased with.

I'm thinking (deep breath) - I'm thinking I'm going to sign up for a night class in children's book illustration. I don't feel like I can afford it, but who cares? (And that's my own fault for not doing last year's tax, silly girl -- so far missing out on Kevin's play money. Sorry; stimulus. I reckon some drawing stimulus and a challenge from someone outside would be good.) The moral of the story I need to illustrate with my own life is: catch up, do your paperwork, get your beans and take them out to the drawing garden, where they might grow.

Do you think there might be flowers?

10 comments:

CurlyPops said...

I think that if you take the chance, and plant the seeds, you'll definitely end up with beautiful flowers....

handmaiden said...

Bev, sounds like you need to nurture that garden for things to grow....and dont over plant!

catharooni said...

there will be flowers ... and animals, and all sorts of assorted cute things to bring joy to you and others!! it made me smile when i read this post - you are so talented!! have fun - and remember what i my mama said, "anytime you make a decision based solely on money, you will regret it." ergo, money is a factor, but it can't be the onl one!! looking forward to updates!

Liesl said...

You have such a way with words ... what beautiful imagery. I vote you do the class. (I did Children's Book Illustration at the CAE and just loved it.)

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

Yes, do the class. Take some time in that garden of creativity that's calling to you. Turn your boat around and see where the current takes you.

Lily Boot said...

I totally agree with Cath - whenever I chose something or a path to take based on how much it will cost, rather than does this put a sparkle in my heart, I am always let down. And you have a wonderful talent with drawing - these sketches you are sharing are so whimsical - you could make them into lovely greeting cards - I would buy them. So yes, pull harder, reach that bank and run up through the sometimes soggy grass to the children's illustration course! I'm sure you would get so much out of it. I find being with creative people wonderfully stimulating. Good luck!

Joanne said...

Wow, I thought you must have been a published illustrator already! You should definitely go for it!

Jacqueline said...

Yes, enroll - you won't regret it. You'll get momentum up with your drawing, you'll meet other talented artists like yourself, and you'll get lots of ideas.

I think we all struggle with the idea that we can fit everything in - I've restrained myself from saying it on the blog but I keep thinking "who has time to be sick for over a week?!". We put a lot of pressure on ourselves but in some ways, there is an expectation out there that we should (and we have to resist it).

Slow down, hang your arm out the window, and see where the journey takes you. I love your illustrations and think they'll make a great kids book.

eileenr said...

do it!!!

Bellgirl said...

It's funny because I was thinking after the last craft bonanza that you should illustrate a children's book. To me your little people are whimsical folk somewhere between Quentin Blake and Judy Horacek. What will your book be on?

If I ever write my childrens book you'll have to illustrate it.