March 2, 2009

Uh-oh. Hooked!

So, last week I mentioned oh-so-casually that I was teaching myself how to crochet.

There was a little bit of confusion in the works, and some cussing, and even a few chocolate buttons (says she, implying that this is an unusual occurrence. Did you fall for it? No. I thought not.) And perhaps those who saw the way I failed to remember the simplest knitting stitches from one craft day to the next stood back, waiting to pick up the pieces.

But then something clicked, and I woke up dreaming of making double crochet stitches, and I've been carrying balls of wool around in my purse ALL WEEK and setting myself a nightly task of learning a new stitch.

Ladies and gentlemen, I bring you:


A photo of wonky home-made geekiness viewed by the maker with much pride and barely-suppressed glee. I'm going to point out that it's not as twisty as it looks because I propped it on the potted plant, and you can believe me or not. I don't care: I'm in love.

I am soo going to make me a scarf with scalloped edges now. Woo!

--

You may have noticed some colour changes around here as I'm trying to infuse some autumn colour into the blog. I wanted fresh green, because there are little leaves sprouting about as the summer burn fades from memory. But after a tussle with Blogger, this is what I got. Still contemplating de-camping to Wordpress. Any thoughts from anyone about that?

--

I went to the Australian Quilt Convention yesterday, in the gorgeous Royal Exhibition Building. But I forgot my camera! (No room in my purse, next to the two balls of wool, the crochet, and the half-depleted bag of chocolate buttons). But I did remember my sketchbook and hardened my self-consiousness against the people who think that sketching in public deserves STAAAARING at. (jeesh!)

More about the lovely quilts tomorrow. My train departs in - ohholycrap - 8 minutes.

whooosh!

6 comments:

Cindy said...

As someone who really wants to learn to crochet I think that the start of your scarf is so beautiful. Given me a little confidence too to try.

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

Oh I love the scalloped edge. I've never done anything like that. When you get more practiced I have a lovely pattern for a scarf that I can share with you.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the crochet club, Bev! Whoohoo!!! Congrats. Now that we both crochet, we're going to have to work it into one of our quilt challenges!

Joanne said...

Oh, I am so out of the loop... The AQC is on?? I still haven't been to that one. When I was a quilting fabric mail-order business, I got all the info but now I don't even have a quilt mag subscription. :-(
Next year... next year...
Love the crochet, BTW.

Anonymous said...

Oh YES that is looking GOOD! Go the crochet!

Anonymous said...

Bev, I think they are offerng a craft lab on how to crochet at
Stitches and Craft next week...might be helpful....I have thought about it but dont think I am ready