March 9, 2009

So, about these quilts then...



There are so many thing whirling around in my head that every time I sit down to blog it all flies out my ears. Or something. And so I read all your posts and forget and have to dash...

I've been meaning to post about the quilt convention since last Sunday. I wasn't sure whether or not to go this year: in the past, I've been disappointed -- not by the quality of the quilts, but by the venues. (Though to be fair I might be remembering a poor Stitches show of years past -- let's hope those days are gone).

So, I had to go in the end: couldn't resist seeing the show quilts. Up off the sofa, hop on the tram and down to the the Australian Quilt Convention (AQC), in the fabulous Royal Melbourne Exhibition Building. Have I mentioned before that I love that building? I love that building, and so does Mr. Tacc.

As for those quilts. Well, they fit right in to their lovely surroundings. Wonderful and awe-inspiring, zany (those doughnuts!) and zingy -- there was lots to see. Sadly, I left my camera at home, but what I did write in the sketchbook gets my ideas going again. This is what I wrote:
  • palest green border and high-contrast applique swirls -- Berneice Sayer's Magical Medallion with Loops - All I can say is: 'Whoar!'
  • quilting grids of black and yellow (there were close-together lines, and ochre dyed textiles: it looked like burnt wood)
  • Nichole Bridges' Ginko Garden quilt: lovely colours, all jewels, and fabric with calligraphy on it.
  • Pretty octagon florals -- in the Brigitte Giblin Retrospective. And then I've written at the bottom of a rough sketch: "So that's what to do with those hexagons!" We have hexagons, we can make beauty.
But don't worry, that didn't stop me from buying just a leetle bit of fabric....

I want to post a link to this video and song that I have been enjoying and watched a few times this week. It's in my head!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Thanks you SO MUCH for sharing that song and video. I really enjoyed it, and it's going straight to the pool room! (AKA my favourites)

I have heard some lovely things about AQC this year. One year I will get there and see the quilts for myself!

catharooni said...

yes! that video WAS inspiring ...

was talking to debi this week and we agreed you are a full on australian now ... and we love it!!

Bellgirl said...

I love the vid- I did wonder for a while whether it was your cartoons! It also reminds me of Quentin Blake- that little girl in the first still looks a bit like Arabella from the Mortimer books.

I like the sound of the ginkho quilt- any pics? It's my totem leaf.