May 3, 2008

Starting anew

It's cold and damp outside today, and I'm still carrying around a heffalumpy cough, but it's a Very Good Day.

Yesterday I finished my job, as in finished my notice period, all complete, no more Mondays at the office (that office at least), and I don't know what I'm going to do next.

When I first made this decision, I was pretty uptight about it, and about whether or not it was a big risk, or irresponsible, or just whether other people would think I was a fool. - And then I talked it over with my husband, who reminded me that I've supported him while he got his writing career off the ground. "It's your turn", he said. I started to think I could take it.

And now that the die is cast, the ID badge returned, the hundreds of emails forwarded, deleted, and otherwise diverted, I feel... what? Very tired. Drained. But as if I have permission to sit and read, and hug my dog, think about excellent ideas and projects, doodle and watch the rain. I can't remember the last time I did all of those things.

I'm not excited yet, but I think I'm trying to quietly craft a new beginning.

Let's see what happens next!

No comments: