March 24, 2008

There's gold in them thar' hills....

This is where I have been working for the last couple of days - just over there to the right, behind the green lamps.

Anyone can work here - it's the State Library of Victoria (Melbourne) - so it's free, and public. Even if all I am doing is looking at the pictures in art books, the surroundings make that seem very worthwhile.

-And even more so on a quiet Easter weekend, when the usual students are not whispering and chattering (look how empty it is! That just astounds me.)

It feels like I'm moving forwards after a period of consolidation. I've been trying to draft an application for a Creative Fellowship, which would give me the tremendous privilege to work on research in this library for a couple of months. Although it is difficult and daunting to write a proposal for such a fiercely competitive grant, it feels like the right time to get back to drawing together art history with my writing and research skills. -And somehow, the crafts, textile arts, or decorative art need to be represented in my project: but I don't know how. (At least, not yet!)

I guess it's a case of 'watch this space'. Wish me luck.

No comments: